Monday, November 1, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Pgs. 1-68

I want to make it clear that I don't like the author's writing style in this book. It's too choppy and confusing. Death, because that's who is telling this story, keeps hinting at things that are going to come in the story, but he does it in a manner that pretty much gives it away. I don't like that, because I'd rather read about it later and be surprised than to already know and be let down because there is no suspense.

Death is a strange character. He keeps trying to tell about his occupation without telling you too much, but it just creates a jumbled mess that doesn't really make sense. He can smell colors... Which I find strange, but I won't judge him for that.

The setting is during the reign of Hitler in Germany. The Nazi party is working hard to create anti-Jewish propoganda. There are lots of little facts in this story that are taken directly from history and just worked into the piece of fiction. I think this is a good way for someone who doesn't like to read history books to get a little bit of a background...

So far... I'm just not sure what the point of the story is... It is not giving us enough hints. Maybe it's about the importance of education and reading. The book's title is what it is for a reason. Hopefully I will learn soon enough what the author wanted to get across.

No comments:

Post a Comment