Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak --- Pt. 2

Pgs. 69-167.

Still, I have no clue as to what the point of this story is. It could just be an informative novel about World War II. However, I hope there are a fews more themes than just that.

I find the main character to be hard to grasp. She's hilarious in parts and completely serious in others. She's written too old for her eleven year old self. She grasps concepts that are beyond her even though she can hardly read. Every time I try to play the story in my head I see a sixteen or seventeen year old girl instead of who she really is. I suppose, though, that since the book is written from Death's perspective, he might have something to do with how we see the girl.

I love the fact that she got into a fight and beat the bigger boy up. I love it even more that in her enraged state, she attacked a second boy that didn't even deserve it. This little girl takes no prisoners. She's all business. That is until she gets around her best friend. When they are together...It's a complete change. She becomes likeable.

The only great thing about this book is that by the time I'm done with it, I'll be able to curse like a sailor in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment