Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak --- Pt. 7

Pgs. 492-End

My final verdict? Extremely disappointed.

I was promised that the last hundred pages or so would really pick up and I would be impressed. I was also promised that I would need tissues. Once more, Markus Zusak sabotaged himself.

The author's unyielding need to tell you what happens before it happens destroyed any type of suspense, unexpected grief, or excitement, from hitting me. Way to go, Markus!

Now, the author's suspense killing method of writing might have killed the story, but it did not kill all of the writing. He was very descriptive and he had very insightful ways of creating sentences. Once or twice, I was blown away by some of his quotes. The way he described the weather through the character of Liesel and the way he described death through the narrator point of view was interesting.

He also placed several facts about his family in the story. I wonder exactly what he took from fiction and what he took from fact. Unless we ask him, I doubt anyone will ever know. Maybe, one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment