Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak --- Pt. 4

Pgs. 239-292

Apparently the mayor's wife is out of the picture for the moment. The mayor fired Liesel's mom and now Liesel can no longer go up to her house/library. Not that it matters really, because the little girl is now completely angry with the older woman.

The relationship between Liesel and Max is disturbing. You know that the author doesn't really mean for their interactions to be taken badly, but they can be misinterpreted. Earlier, while reading, I thought they were falling in love until I realized that Max is 24 and Liesel is eleven or twelve. For just a moment I was disturbed. I had to remind myself that his feelings toward her are solely social and platonic than anything else. Besides, Liesel loves Rudy even if she can't admit it to him.

I like that the story is still giving you glimpses at the history of the World War, but I don't think it gives you enough. I think that Death, since he is the voice of the novel, should talk about his job a little more. He worked overtime during the war, as he would have in any war. Maybe the author didn't want to do an over load, but it's almost necessary. Let us really know what's going on!

Mama and Papa have both taken a back seat, nearly disappearing altogether. You only see them mentioned in passing. Mama did have one quick scene when Liesel told her that the mayor had fired her. And Papa had a quick snippet just after that.

I'm so ready for this book to have a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment