Monday, October 4, 2010

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Peters --- Pt. 3

Pgs. 103-149

I think I am actually starting to like Daelyn. It's a little late in the book, but at least there is an attempt to make her more human, to make her more understood. If I am being honest...It's not that I am liking her, but that I am starting to have sympathy for her. Throughout the book she is trying to break off attachments. She calls her parents by their first names and stops calling the bench she sits at "her bench." I think I am doing the same thing to her. She doesn't want to live and I can't make friends with someone that has decided that they are going to kill themselves. That's setting myself up for a fall. I refuse to let her take me in like that and then dump me like garbage at the end.

Then, and this frustrates me more than anything so far, she is mean to Emily! Curse her! She was getting my sympathy and then she does that! It was so upsetting! I can understand why she was mean to poor Emily. She was trying to destroy her attachments, but she knows how hurtful people can be... It just angered me that she didn't notice how much like JenniferJessica she was.

The more I read, the more I realize that Peters is becoming more personal with the character. Yes, in the beginning she kept the character distant because she wanted it to represent everyone, but now she is making the character more personal because people that suffer in this way are PEOPLE... They have feelings, the have a build, they have a personality. I think that Peters, even if I don't agree with the way she did it, did a wonderful job at pulling people in from the impersonal to the personal to the personality. It might have taken forever, but it was worth it I think.

The final chapters approach... I'm dreading it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment