Saturday, October 16, 2010

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang --- Pt. 2

Pgs. 109-233

Yang writes a very interesting story. The three tales he places together are very unique and the way he ties them together is unexpected.

The themes of racism and stereotypes are still there, though I find it hard to really pick up on them. It takes me a while to really get the point that he is trying to make. Reading this book means that you have to stop and think. It's almost as if the reader needs a guide to understand all that the author is trying to say. This is a good thing, but it also means that a lot of the meaning is lost because the reader doesn't have someone to explain.

I found the end to be somewhat of a let down. I expected something a little different. I still think it was interesting, but I felt it could have been a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment