Monday, October 11, 2010

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang --- Pt. 1

Pgs. 1-108

So, this is my second time reading this graphic novel. I guess I didn't catch all of the connotations the first time, because on the first page there is definitely a sexual inuendo I had never noticed. That's a fantastic way to start off a novel.

Now, this book supposedly discusses racism. Already, within the first few pages of the book, I can see this. The fact that the Monkey King wasn't allowed into the party because he was a monkey was trying to hit this topic. However, that's specieism. Just thought I should clarify.

On the next section, the story switches to a little Chinese boy (Jin). This section uses "<" and ">" symbols to show that the conversation has been translated from a different language, meaning the conversation occured in that language. I missed that my first time through as well. I really need to start paying better attention. I think I was just amazed at reading a graphic novel the first time. Back to the point, the little boy starts a new school and immediately a character pops up that seems to symbolize the "red-neck" sterotype. The character uses words like "momma" and "yer." I think this exaggeration of a character is the author's way of showing that this kid's way of thinking is "backwoods" and definitely wrong. I didn't even mention the teacher that didn't even correct this little boy and his blatant ignorance of Chinese culture and bias against the new student.

Then, Chin-kee comes and makes life loveable in the next section. I loved the fact that his suitcases were togo boxes from a Chinese restaurant. Chin-kee is the epitome of sterotypical Chinese immigrants. He speaks very broken English, he is very eccentric and he drives Danny crazy. And, just so everyone knows, more sexual connotations arise in the third section.

I think that the author and artist had a very good sense of what he wanted this book to be about and has deliberately created his characters to personify the different types of racism or stereotyping that occurs. This book, since I am taking a course on teaching written Enlgish for ESL, makes me wonder how much the characters struggled and still struggled with the language. Jin's best friend still doesn't speak "perfect" English. Even Jin, who has always lived in America, has problems speaking. I wonder what they struggled with educationally, besides the bullying and racism that occured.

No comments:

Post a Comment