Monday, September 27, 2010

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters --- Pt. 1

Pgs. 1-48

The author has not given me enough to like Daelyn. She complains and whines, but we aren't given any background. Peters should have worked harder at making her more likeable if she wants us to associate or feel empathetic to her. We don't know her hair color, her height, her weight, her complexion, or any of the things that people make fun of her for. We can't tell if the person is actually fitting the labels that the other students give her, or if they are making fun of her because she isn't comfortable with who she is. I think if the author wanted us to truly bond with the main character, then she should give us the chance. At this point, I am unimpressed and distant.

We are provided with clues and hints about some of her past "failures" at suicide. She might have tried cutting and, since she wears a brace, hanging. However, we aren't given any specifics yet. This makes things tough to understand.

I do think that the book is covering some amazing topics: suicide, bullying, and relationships. These are all subjects that teens today are struggling with and need to have discussed. However, I'm not sure that Peters is discussing them with the tactfulness they deserve. She throws around suicide methods as common place ideas and even creates a numbering system for them. I don't agree with her methods, but this is only the beginning of the book. Maybe, as it continues, things will get better. I will stick it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment